CFNM Village Discussion Forum

The Forum Where "CFNM" Originated
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:07 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Thanks, dh, a question: it sounds like you are recording a screen capture rather than actually downloading the video, correct?

One the drawbacks of doing that is that the quality of the video is not quite as sharp, correct? With that said, I suppose a HD screen capture of the swimming pool scene in Porky's Revenge (the scene I'm searching for) is better than a downloaded non-HD version.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:25 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

cfnmdude wrote:
Thanks, dh, a question: it sounds like you are recording a screen capture rather than actually downloading the video, correct?

One the drawbacks of doing that is that the quality of the video is not quite as sharp, correct? With that said, I suppose a HD screen capture of the swimming pool scene in Porky's Revenge (the scene I'm searching for) is better than a downloaded non-HD version.

Right, screen capture.

How good what you get depends on the quality of the original and how well your computer can capture it. The only way you will know if it is good enough for you is to try it. The quality I got was not great but good enough for me, especially because there was no other source of what I wanted. It was of a 1990's TV show so not HD quality to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:40 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

I purchased and watched Porky's Revenge on DVD, the hot swimming pool scene is here along with a link to my YouTube video:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67&p=11745#p11745

The DVD is not HD, better quality than the old VHS tapes, but not HD. If anyone has any helpful hints about how I can obtain this in HD, let me know. While the DVD quality was good, the scene gets too blurry at times.

I'm going to look into Hulu next. I would prefer downloading to screen capture. Has anyone heard of Solar Movie? This site claims to have it in HD, but they also want credit card number and I don't think it is a credible site:
https://www.solarmovie.ph/watch-porky-s ... -1985.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

I have a lot of material saved on flash drive and I want to open up space. Each file is around 40 minutes long. In some of those files, I only want to save, say, 25 minutes of material. If I could reduce some of the files to 25 minutes, I would increase my hard drive space.

I was going through my San Francisco Pride/Bay to Breakers files, taking out meaningless stuff and keeping in the CFNM material. I reduced one file to 731 MB, a second file to 992 MB, and a third file went from around 3.3 GB to 2.9 GB.

How did I do this? I loaded the file to VSDC Free Video Editor and used markers to separate material. Once the material is separated, I deleted material I didn't want to keep and then combined material I wanted to keep, creating a smaller overall file.

But then something perplexing happened. I have a 40 minute 3.56 GB file. I was able to reduce the file to about 20 minutes. After saving the reduced file, I saw that the GB actually increased, going from 3.56 GB to 5.79 GB. WTF? When I played the new file, I discovered that it is only 20 minutes long and so how could the GB space increase? Why didn't this happen to the other files? I tried doing it a second time and the same thing happened. WTF?

Brad, I wasn't sure where to post this question. Let me know if I should move it to one of the other boards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 am 
Village Legend
Village Legend

Would it not be best to just spend $75 on an 1TB external drive?

Are you sure you are recoding the videos in the same resolution and frame rate? Sounds like 6gig at 20 minutes is 4K are a rediculous frame rate?

DTR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 am 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Would it not be best to just spend $75 on an 1TB external drive?

Thanks. I really should do this. I have about a million flash drives and have lost all semblance of organization. I was looking for one of my Pride videos, for example, and somehow it ended up on a flash drive that only has Bay to Breakers stuff. Disaster.

Are you sure you are recoding the videos in the same resolution and frame rate? Sounds like 6gig at 20 minutes is 4K are a rediculous frame rate?

I followed the same procedures as the previous ones. In the previous ones, I increased space when I excluded material, but not this time. I don't know why it would be any different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

The original recording is supposed to be 720p at 60fps. I just looked at my VSDC player--it is combining files at 720p/60fps. And so it's not like I'm combining files at a higher resolution.

A question, how can I check the specific file to make sure it is indeed 720p at 60fps? I suppose it is possible that I'm combining files at a higher resolution BUT, according to the specifications of my camera, the resolution is set at 720P at 60fps. My VSDC player is set at the same level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:48 am 
Founder & Owner
Founder & Owner

Here's my two cents -

I've been in the same boat for years. My solution:

1) Disk space - the amount of effort that goes into your videos combined with having a rare perspective few ever have on this forum tends to make be believe that deleting video because of little disk space is like the tail wagging the dog. I just saw that Costco now sells an 8TB external hard drive. The cost is prohibitively high, but the good news is that every time they come out with a higher capacity drive, the ones with less capacity drop in price. I've seen 4TB external drives on sale at Costco for under $100.

I have several external drives and one 4TB, which I think of as the "mother ship". I use Goodsync (best sync program), which automatically allows me to quickly back up my desktop and laptops using a 3.0 USB.

Point is -- use, the hardware is an investment, but if you're spending thousands of hours traveling and shooting video, the high capacity external HD to archive all raw footage is a smart investment.

2) Video editing - Again, good video editors are expensive, not free, but in the long run worth their weight in gold -- particularly since you spend so much time with your filming. I use AVS Video Editor, which preserves the resolution and quality of the original, and allows you to edit out footage easily. It's very user friendly requiring no real editing skills. Within one edit, you can merge videos from different formats then save the end product in any format you want, inclusive of whatever resolution quality you desire.

Because I got screwed purchasing this software in the past when I got a new computer, I said fuck it, and went to Piratebay to get a free copy of the updated AVS. Yep, I'm a bad boy, but everyone on this forum have had an opportunity to download my beach vids, which were created with AVS.

If you PM me, I can make it easy for you... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:48 am 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

It just happened again with a different file. The file was 3.61 GB (40 minutes). I took out about 20 minutes of useless material. I then combined the rest and the file was going to be over 5 GB before I shut it down. This makes no sense. I'm creating smaller files and the GB increases? Fuck me.

Quote:
1) Disk space - the amount of effort that goes into your videos combined with having a rare perspective few ever have on this forum tends to make be believe that deleting video because of little disk space is like the tail wagging the dog. I just saw that Costco now sells an 8TB external hard drive. The cost is prohibitively high, but the good news is that every time they come out with a higher capacity drive, the ones with less capacity drop in price. I've seen 4TB external drives on sale at Costco for under $100.

I'm definitely going to look into this. I have a flash drive that is around 136 GB (my largest flash drive), but a 4TB is much larger, right?

The editing process is also too time consuming. If I invest in a larger drive, I don't have to waste my time opening up more space.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 am 
Founder & Owner
Founder & Owner

cfnmdude wrote:
It just happened again with a different file. The file was 3.61 GB (40 minutes). I took out about 20 minutes of useless material. I then combined the rest and the file was going to be over 5 GB before I shut it down. This makes no sense. I'm creating smaller files and the GB increases? Fuck me.

Yes, it's komplakated. I know. AVS is the solution.

Btw, yes, we have an entire forum dedicated to this topic:

viewforum.php?f=33

I'll be moving this thread there after you've seen this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Thanks, feel free to move it.

I presume an 4TB external drive can be hooked up to a lap top and then easily moved to a desk computer when necessary? Is this true?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 am 
Founder & Owner
Founder & Owner

cfnmdude wrote:
Thanks, feel free to move it.

I presume an 4TB external drive can be hooked up to a lap top and then easily moved to a desk computer when necessary? Is this true?

yes, it's why you have an external hard drive. by using it, you can sync all your computers, laptops, notepads, etc. When you connect a computer to it using Goodsync, Goodsync will go through all your files and update them to a newer version, or if you want, delete old files. It quickly makes a carbon copy of the computer with which you are syncing. You can also select files/folders to ignore during the syncing. This is good if you, say, have a small notepad with limited storage and only want work-related documents or perhaps the music folder synced.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:46 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

I started with a 2.29 GB file with 25 minutes of footage. I took out 15 minutes of this footage (a complete waste of footage--I got dressed and stopped in a bar for a quick drink), thus reducing the file to 10 minutes. True to form, the new file is strangely large, right around the original 2.29 GB even though 15 minutes (more than 50%) of footage is now excluded.

Clearly, I'm adding something to the footage that is taking up massive space....

I've tried goggling this problem but I can't seem to locate any info about it online.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:41 pm 
Founder & Owner
Founder & Owner

cfnmdude wrote:
I started with a 2.29 GB file with 25 minutes of footage. I took out 15 minutes of this footage (a complete waste of footage--I got dressed and stopped in a bar for a quick drink), thus reducing the file to 10 minutes. True to form, the new file is strangely large, right around the original 2.29 GB even though 15 minutes (more than 50%) of footage is now excluded.

Clearly, I'm adding something to the footage that is taking up massive space....

I've tried goggling this problem but I can't seem to locate any info about it online.

In Windows/PC, if your right click on the video file, then, look at "Details", you'll see specific information including frame width/height and bitrate. Bit rate affects both file size and quality.

Rather than explain how that increases file size, this guy does a great job:
https://youtu.be/QOn-9anLFxA

also, good explanation:
https://youtu.be/5HdzBgFFy2s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:48 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Awesome links, thanks. For some reason, I can't access the bitrate of my files when I right click or when I open in Quicktime. I will try again tomorrow on a different computer.

I'm thinking that bitrate is indeed the culprit. The VSDC video player gives me the option of a normal bitrate or a high quality one. I always select the high quality one. I may be adding bitrate to the file, which would explain the increase in file size. I'll know more tomorrow. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:51 am 
Founder & Owner
Founder & Owner

cfnmdude wrote:
Awesome links, thanks. For some reason, I can't access the bitrate of my files when I right click or when I open in Quicktime. I will try again tomorrow on a different computer.

I'm thinking that bitrate is indeed the culprit. The VSDC video player gives me the option of a normal bitrate or a high quality one. I always select the high quality one. I may be adding bitrate to the file, which would explain the increase in file size. I'll know more tomorrow. Thanks again!

Quicktime is an Apple product, so it's probably why a Windows (Microsoft) product may not be able to see the information. Again, AVS can convert anything to anything.

As I understand it, there are essentially three ways a video takes up space.

1. Frame size (i.e. 1920 X 1080 vs. 1280 X 720)
2. Frame rate (i.e. 30 frames/sec vs. 60 frames/sec)
3. Bit rate

If the original, raw footage is, say, 1280 X 720, increasing the frame size just makes it bigger on the screen without increasing resolution. The view can do this themselves by simply controlling the size of the screen of their media player; thus, don't increase frame size in your video editor as it unnecessarily takes ups space.

2. Frame rate is the fluidity (smoothness) of the video. Same thing applies - if you've recorded at 30 frames a second, increasing the frame rate will not make a better quality video.

3. Bit rate is how much information is flowing. It's like a series of paintings in sequence. If each painting (frame) is highly detailed, then a higher bit rate is warranted to convey the detail of each frame. However, if each painting (frame) is maxed out at a certain resolution, increasing the bit rate does not increase quality, it only increases the amount of hard disk space.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:53 pm 
Village Legend
Village Legend

Just a couple of things I have learnt through experience. You are best to buy 2 drives! Hard drives can fail and that could be an end of the world type thing. I have 3 1TB drives and rotate them with a backup every month (in rotation). I then keep one drive hidden in the car (house might burn down).
I have also paid $1.59 a month for 100GB of online google drive to save all my photos.

This might be extreme backup but I've lost files on hard drives which failed, including a bunch of photo-shoots of my wife pre kids in her late 20's which I have lost forever and which give me nightmares of the day it (the drive) died on me. I spent $100 on trying to salvage it but it was kaput, the reader arm had come loose and scratched the disk heads to hell.

Morale of the story....... 1 backup is NEVER enough. I have 3 but 2 would suffice. Remember that this stuff is irreplaceable!

Make sure you get a Seagate, Toshiba or Samsung drive as they have the highest manufacturing standards.Ensure it's USB 3.0, USB Powered and only requires one USB port (some use 2 ports, one for power, one for transfer of data).

DTR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Brad wrote:
cfnmdude wrote:

Quicktime is an Apple product, so it's probably why a Windows (Microsoft) product may not be able to see the information. Again, AVS can convert anything to anything.

As I understand it, there are essentially three ways a video takes up space.

1. Frame size (i.e. 1920 X 1080 vs. 1280 X 720)
2. Frame rate (i.e. 30 frames/sec vs. 60 frames/sec)
3. Bit rate

If the original, raw footage is, say, 1280 X 720, increasing the frame size just makes it bigger on the screen without increasing resolution. The view can do this themselves by simply controlling the size of the screen of their media player; thus, don't increase frame size in your video editor as it unnecessarily takes ups space.

2. Frame rate is the fluidity (smoothness) of the video. Same thing applies - if you've recorded at 30 frames a second, increasing the frame rate will not make a better quality video.

3. Bit rate is how much information is flowing. It's like a series of paintings in sequence. If each painting (frame) is highly detailed, then a higher bit rate is warranted to convey the detail of each frame. However, if each painting (frame) is maxed out at a certain resolution, increasing the bit rate does not increase quality, it only increases the amount of hard disk space.

You da man, Brad! Thanks for figuring this out for me. The Bit Rate is the culprit. I looked at my files on another computer, and I discovered that they were 720p (I already knew that), 60 frames rate (I already knew that), and a Bit Rate of 128 (I didn't know that at all). My VSDC player is set to 720p with a 60 frames rate, and so I knew both factors were not increasing GB. VSDC offers three Bit Rate options: high quality at 224 kbps, normal quality at 192 kbps, and low quality at 128 kbps. I always use the high quality and thus I'm adding Bit Rate to files that contain 128 Bit Rate.

I edited the video again, taking out the same amount of footage. This time, I saved the shorter video at the normal bit rate of 192 and and the GB decreased!!! Based on what you say above, I should probably use the 128 Bit Rate since my videos use that Bit Rate, and a better bit rate does not improve quality. I'll know that for the future.

I'm a little disappointed to learn that my hidden camera takes low quality bit rate. I went out of my way to ensure 720p and, more importantly, 60 frames per second verses 30, but I never knew anything about bit rate. For me, the Frame per second is crucial. At 30 frames per second, slow motion gets too blurry and you miss out on reactions & elevator eyes. At 60 frames per second, slow motion is much clearer and you capture the girl's eyes.

Issue resolved. Thanks again. For the sake of organization, I'm still going to purchase an external hard drive and save and organize my material on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 pm 
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

DaveTheRave wrote:
Just a couple of things I have learnt through experience. You are best to buy 2 drives! Hard drives can fail and that could be an end of the world type thing.
DTR

Once I move my material to the external hard drive, I will have a ton of empty flash drives. I plan to save some of my better files on flash drive. That way, if something catastrophic happens to the external hard drive, I will have backup copies of my best CFNM reaction material.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Frame rate for NTSC DVD players (used in the USA) is slightly less than 30 frames per second and PAL players (generally used outside the USA) is 25 FPS. Since movies look okay at 25 FPS, coding at anything higher is just using file space unnecessarily unless you are shooting some very unusual situations. Thus using 60 FPS unnecessarily increases the file size. Maybe it has some use if you are shooting on a fast moving bike down a mountain side.